Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A Tribute To My Children




I was doing some preliminary chores when I started thinking about how grateful and blessed I am.  I thought about my financial situation and though it is not exactly where I would like it to be it’s not too shabby.  I also thought about my children.  If there is one thing that I do know about my children is that they love me.  Even though they don’t shower me with material gifts they show me in ways that mean more than material items how much I mean to them.

My oldest is a girl child.  In fact, I used to call her that when she was a baby.  I loved her so much.  As she blossomed into a young lady I was always trying to protect her from unproductive relationships such as avoiding the wrong crowd of people and the wrong male companion and so forth.  I was always thinking of the following scriptures:


Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, “I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you, and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty.”  

Of course, every family goes through its ups and downs but for the most part we have been up.  I shared all the knowledge that I knew with her in hopes that she would adhere to some of the principles and mores that I grew up with.  And I’m glad to say that she turned out just fine.  She has realized her life passion, which is helping people, and now is the President of a housing organization in our home town.  I am so very proud of her and her accomplishments.  I still sometimes worry about her because she is so generous. (But that is the way I was too, and that’s why I worry for her).  I always feel that people take her kindness for weakness.  But let me tell you, when you’ve pushed her last button she can really go off into a tantrum.  I don’t like to be around when that happens.

My youngest is a male child.  When he was a baby I called him “Fennerman”.  I know you’re wondering where that came from.  It’s a combination name.  “Friend of Mine” and “Man child” squished together produced “Fennerman”.  Well, at least that’s my interpretation of the word.

He’s a very attractive young man and also kind and considerate.  In fact, when I moved to another state he helped drive me there.  When we got there he decided to stay and not return to our home town because he felt as though I needed him, which I did.  I was going blind and had problems driving and reading and so on.  But I thought this was such a selfless act that he decided he would do.  Most times it’s the girl child that gets stuck with the mom who needs help, but this time it was the man child.

He has a steady job where he gets paid like everybody else bi-weekly and buys his gadgets.  Before when working for his uncle and stepfather he never got paid what he was worth if he got paid.  Both characters claimed they paid on time and gave him breaks that they didn’t give others, but I didn’t see it.  I wonder why people feel they can misuse their family and it makes it alright because they are family.  I never got that.  Anyway, this guy can cook like Betty Crocker, he’s neat as a pin, he can organize anything and he is a loving person.  I am proud of him also because being of color his chances of survival were not that great.  Our young Black men are at risk and an endangered species.

But my child has been blessed by God and protected by him also.  It makes me think of the scripture which says “Honor thy father and thy mother so that thy days will be long” or something to that effect.

I am abundantly grateful for being blessed with the care of these two most precious individuals and constantly pray for their success and wellbeing.

I love you kids - Mom

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment