Friday, August 2, 2013

Thinking About Mom




While I was trying to make some room in my closet, I had to get rid of some of my mother’s clothes that had been given to me by my sister.  She hated to part with them but felt more comfortable giving them to me.  Only problem was the clothes were in sizes 22 and 24.  I wear size 18.

Mom died in April of 2004.  Nine years ago and I’ve had the clothes in my closet for about six years; just hanging there and getting dusty and not in use.  Lately I’ve purchased a few pieces of clothing for myself.  But I don’t have any more room.  So I’ve got to make some room.

As I was putting the clothes my sister sent me in a bag, I was thinking about my mom.  She was so beautiful.  She had a great taste for fashion and dressed like a movie queen.  She wore her hair in different styles and was just a fashion-conscious individual.  I remember she sported blond hair for a while, which was relatively uncommon in her day.  She wore a side swept beehive hair do for a while.  She was always coming up with something out of the norm.  I guess that’s why when I was a teen I used to buy “Millie the Model” cartoon books and practice coming up with different hair styles and how to roll them in curlers to get those looks.  Of course I had to make minor adjustments because the texture of my hair was quite different from Millie’s hair.

I can remember my mom had a gold bathing suit like the kinds Esther Williams (famous swimmer and movie star) wore in some of her movies.  She also had a 3-piece Hawaiian print bathing suit. The bottom was swept around like a sarong and it had a matching jacket.  I remember wearing it.  Can you picture that?  One of my favorite outfits was a strapless gold lame and white dress with a full skirt and matching stole.  Back in the day you didn’t see those kinds of fashions unless it was on Doris Day in a movie; but my mom wore it and wore it well.  I got a chance to wear it also after she had grown tired of it.  You know I thought I was sharp; and I was.

Packing those clothes made me think about the quality of the clothes my mom chose.  You knew they cost a pretty penny by the way they were designed, and you got extra buttons and small details that made the pieces look custom made.  She really had good taste.  I always wanted to dress like her.

I really miss my mom.  She was strict, but psychic when it came to her children.  She knew when things were not right with each and every one of her four children.  She gave wise advice that seemed to always come true.  If she told you something, you could take it to the bank.  I miss her counseling.

I hoped I would be half the mom she was.  I love you mom.  RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment