Saturday, February 8, 2014

Tendonitis Almost Did Me In

The other day I woke up and could hardly move my arm. The pain was excruciating. I found it extremely difficult to wash up and to put on my clothes. It was terrible.

I don’t know about you but I think pain is not normal. If there is pain there is a problem. My first thoughts are to isolate the problem and then treat it. At first I thought about a heart attack. They say when you get pain in your left arm it could indicate that you are having a heart attack. And of course women react differently than men do. So, I talked to a couple of people who indicated I should check the heart attack thing out. But I wasn’t trying to hear that. I was not going to accept their diagnosis because I have not had any kind of problems in that area. I was thinking I slept the wrong way and somehow that caused the pain. It also felt a little swollen. Then I thought I’ll wait a day or so and see if it does not go away. Well, it didn’t. It got worse. I couldn’t sleep. I was really upset because it was painful and inconvenient. Since I had to go out that next day I decided to go to Urgent Care. The doctor diagnosed it as Tendonitis. Tendonitis is an inflammation or irritation of a tendon. Chronic strain, overuse or misuse of a tendon leading to a repetitive stress injury, or a serious acute injury can lead to a weakness, tear or swelling of the tendon tissue resulting in pain and stiffness near the tendon.

The doctor gave me a sling to wear for 3 days and some oral medication. As soon as I arrived home I took the medicine and I had bought a heating pad and I put that on it. I slept well. I was to take the medication twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. They made me sleepy and I slept all day for the next 2 days. I was disgusted because I was unable to follow my daily routine. I wanted to get depressed, but I refused to do that. I just prayed and thanked the Lord that I had no more pain. Since I don’t care for medication I was happy to stop taking it almost as soon as the pain was gone one which only took one day. But I continued for 2 days taking the medication.

I’ll tell you one thing. That was no fun. It put me out of action for a few days, but now I’m as good as new. Thank God!

No comments:

Post a Comment